By Observer-Dispatch. Posted Apr 02, 2012
UTICA — A paper shredder reportedly was responsible for a small fire Monday on the second floor of the Mohawk Valley Psychiatric Center.
The Psych Center is located at 1400 Noyes St.
First responders reported smoke in the building after arriving just before 9 a.m. Monday, but said the flames had been put out by the building’s sprinkler system. They later determined the fire started in a paper shredder.
Initial reports indicated the building was evacuated due to the fire, but police at the scene said they had not seen anyone outside when they arrived. It’s possible staff members moved to another portion of the three-story building rather than exiting altogether.
Firefighters requested fans to help ventilate the building and assistance from security in accessing secure portions of the building and opening locked windows.