SecurShred was established in 2000 and has been certified by the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID) since they started their certification program. Now, for the 8th straight year, SecurShred has achieved the certification standard by NAID. SecurShred is certified for both mobile and plant-based operation for the destruction of paper media and hard drives.
This certification is much different than just being a NAID member. When NAID Certified information destruction services undergo an audit, their hiring practices, equipment and facilities and carefully scrutinized. The following are just some of the security specifications that NAID auditors will verify during random audits:
1) Persons with a known history of related-crimes are not employed.
2) Security and operations policies and procedures are written and followed.
3) Destruction equipment is functioning properly.
4) Access to materials is restricted at all times.
5) Containers and vehicles protect information from unauthorized access at all times during transport and processing.
6) There is an audit trail, including CCTV image capture and retention, and a thorough, documented chain of custody.
The laws are clear; it is unacceptable to select a records destruction service provider without a written selection criteria. If you don’t specify NAID Certification as that criteria, you will have to develop some other written and verifiable criteria. NAID Certification was developed by information security professionals and is recognized by thousands of organizations around the world. Why start from scratch, developing completely new selection criteria, when NAID has already done the work for you?
Laws also require written information protection policies and procedures. SecurShred can help with these policies and procedures as several of its information security consultants have passed through the NAID Compliance Toolkit training.