It takes more than a dancing banana to keep your identity safe…
Lock Down Your Login, a new campaign from the White House, has some powerful muscle behind it with the National Cyber Security Alliance teaming up with Mozilla, Twitter, Google, Visa, Mastercard and Wells Fargo to name a few.
The concept is a simplified :30 second cartoon featuring a dancing banana (yes, a dancing banana…) in the hopes of educating people to setup strong authentication for their online accounts.
Dancing bananas aside, not only do you need strong authentication, but you also need safe, secure destruction of important documents, old smart devices and hard drive destruction. Here’s a simple 5-step check list of must-haves for your cyber security protocols:
- Secure storage of documents: This includes tax papers, business transactions, bank papers – anything that has identifying information on it that you need to safely store. It never hurts to have sensitive documents stored off-site in a secure storage facility.
- Secure destruction of smartphones: Don’t just give your old phone away – even if you think you’ve wiped it clean and set it back to factory defaults, there could be some lingering information that could be useful to a hacker. Make it company policy to have a plan for destruction of old devices once new replacements are installed.
- Hard-drive destruction: SecurShred has a full service to help you safely and securely destroy your computer hard drives.
- Shred old papers – If your office has a treasure trove of old documents ripe with account numbers, credit card info or other personal information, SHRED IT! Don’t let it overwhelm you, set up an appointment and have it all shred quickly and professionally. Get your community involved and host a #ShredEvent – be the hero on your block!
- E-Storage – Need access to your documents anywhere, any time? Consider secure E-Storage solutions for your sensitive documents. SecurShred has a host of solutions for your review here:
Setup a plan, educate your employees and stick with it to drastically reduce the chance of a security breach in your office. SecurShred is happy to setup an appointment to find the right solution for your organization.