Is it time to clean out offices, purge old
documents, and/or update your files?
SecurShred is here to help you with your file purging. We offer NAID Certified On-site and Off-Site document destruction service, as well as, hard drive destruction, electronics recycling, record and data storage, and document scanning/file conversion. When it comes time to clean out your old files, how do you know what to keep and what to get rid of? What is the true lifespan of documents? Below is a basic guide to help you plan what to keep and what you can get rid of.
How long should I keep my files?
• Capital Stock Ledgers | Permanent
• Minute Books | Permanent
• Canceled Bonds & Interest Coupons | 7 YEARS
• Proxies of Holders of Voting Securities | 2 YEARS
• List of Holders of Voting Securities | 7 YEARS
• Deeds, Titles, Abstracts, etc. | Permanent
• List of Holders of Voting Securities | 7 YEARS (After Expiration)
Receipts & Expenditures
• Duplicate Deposit Tickets | 1 YEAR
• Bank Statements & Canceled Checks | 7 YEARS
• Duplicate Checks | 4 YEARS
Accounting Payable Files
• All supporting Data
(i.e., invoices, receiving taxes, purchase orders, etc.) | 7 YEARS
• Canceled Payroll Checks | 7 YEARS
• PayRoll Journals | 7 YEARS
• Time Cards | 4 YEARS
• General Ledgers | Permanent
• Statements (Balance Sheets, etc.) | Permanent
• Cost Ledger | Permanent
• Accounts Receivable Ledgers | 7 YEARS
• Books of Original Entry (including General Journal Entries) | Permanent
• Insurance Policies | 3 YEARS (After Expiration)
• Tax Returns & Records | Permanent
• Audit Reports | Permanent
• Plant Ledger | Permanent
• Royalty Computations | 7 YEARS (After Expiration)
• Excise Tax Computations | 5 YEARS
Our powerful shredding blades are able to shred this material, however, it is not the same substance and will contaminate the paper for recycling. We are allowed a certain amount of “contamination” per bail of shredded paper. Any metals that are in the paper are taken out through a series of steps at the paper mill.
Please do not hesitate to contact Mark or JoEllen in Customer Service or Natalie in Sales for inquiries regarding additional services that we offer. We can be reached by phone at 1.877.863.3003 extension 1 for scheduling, extension 2 for Sales or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also have an online destruction service, you
can get a free quote at www.shipndestroy.com.
What happens to the paper once it is shredded?
The destroyed paper is sent to a local paper mill and recycled back into tissue products. Once converted into tissue products the items are then redistributed back into our local communities through a distribution company.
What can go into our SecurShred bin(s) for shredding:
• Paper, manila folders, hanging files, accordion files.
• Paper clips, bull clip, staples, rubber bands.
• In very small amounts CD’s or back-up tapes.
What cannot be shredded:
• Plastic Bags