The holiday shopping season is upon us and that means braving the crowds on Black Friday. But before you hit the stores, make sure you’re taking steps to protect your data. Here are a few hacks to help you keep your information safe while you shop til you drop.
- Avoid typing your pin into store checkout terminals. If it asks for a pin, simply hit “enter” or ask the store clerk to charge by credit.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If a shopper’s cozying up to you and looking over your shoulder, ask for a little space. If they refuse to move, stop your transaction.
- Never count your money in the car. Keep packages, loose change all out of sight and locked up in a well-lit space. Leave the parking lot as soon as you buckle up.
- Shred credit card receipts, offers, mail-in rebates, anything that has identifying information.
- Don’t use public Wi-Fi. Resist the temptation to check your bank balance. That’s the #1 way hackers can easily get access to all your data when you’re on a public wi-fi connection.
These tips will keep your data safe as you enjoy all those Black Friday deals! If you need secure shredding or data storage solutions for your company or organization, you can count on SecurShred, a NAID certified facility for all of your sensitive data and records storage.